Saturday, November 22, 2008

On the Bus


As I type this, we're getting our first snowfall of the season.  Either that or someone's tossing wet cotton balls off our roof.  On both Thursday and Friday this week, I rode the Raleigh (pictured at right) to the bus stop in the morning then back home again in the evening for a two-day total of 40 miles.  Friday morning was my first sub-freezing ride in a long time, and possibly ever.  My new gloves didn't keep my hands as warm as I hoped they would, but still they did an admirable job.  I also got my headlight back on Thursday night and tested it successfully on both Friday commutes, which means that I could finally give the loaner back to Tyler.  My relationship with Tyler is a lot like a junkie's relationship with his dealer.  But don't worry Mom; my bike addiction is more like a fashionable high-class out-of-control '80s cocaine habit than a typical modern out-of-control meth addiction that you see on COPS.  :)

And speaking of Tyler, the Look is currently visiting him while he tries re-threading one of my water bottle mounts that I stripped while cleaning it a few weeks ago.

Riding to the bus (20 miles per day) is far more sustainable for me than the whole 50-mile commute, and it generally saves me the same amount of money since I pay for the bus pass whether or not I use it everyday. So I'll probably stick to that through the winter.  Summer bus commuting is complicated by the fact that other bikers take up the two bike rack spots on the bus, so I bike straight in from home far more often to avoid that altogether.  Plus I'm in better shape, it's warmer, there's more light...  Anyway I'll be driving to the bus on Monday to replenish my clothing and towels and Q-tips and such; but I plan to be right back on the bike on Tuesday, weather permitting.

No comments: