Friday, November 14, 2008

The Big Commute

I rode all the way in to work this morning and all the way home this evening. Took an hour of vacation on both ends of the day so I could ride in daylight for most of the way. Enjoyed a great sunrise in the morning (then endured retina-burning sun in my face for a few miles) and a gorgeous sunset over the Owyhees. And hey, I got reacquainted with my Raleigh too!

It's been a while since my last 50-mile day (August 20 - my last round-trip bike commute), so I figured it'd be a bit of a stretch for me. And it was. I'll be sore tomorrow. But I saved $3 by not taking the bus today and putting off starting a new pass until next week, plus another $3 by not driving to & from the bus stop! That's a savings of more than a dime per mile! Cha-ching! :) Hey, whatever works to get me off my butt & makes me avoid growing a gut like a Harley rider's - resting on the gas tank. (Hi Harry) This was also my first commute in off-season conditions - 34 degrees when I left in the morning and about the same by the time I arrived home. As such, I learned some stuff about cold-weather commuting:
  • My current gear (there I am all decked out) is good down to freezing, and even below freezing with the following exceptions: I don't know if I can wait until January for the shoe covers I ordered, and my face mask keeps me plenty warm enough but I find it hard to breathe at the rate I need when it's covering my mouth & nose
  • Temperature control is harder for me on the way home than in the morning. Ambient temperature warms slightly over the course of my morning commute, and this is good since I sometimes work up a little sweat earlier on in the ride. This becomes a greater liability in the evenings as it gets cooler.
Don't expect a ride report this weekend.

2 comments:

Dan said...

And hey, I just realized that I topped 2500 miles on the season today!

Sheree Welshimer said...

Hey, Dan, you look like you're ready for a polar expedition but it's worth it to get some exercise and wonderful sun's rays. For the days without sun, I purchased a light box to set beside me.