Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Retrospective on 2009

I always get quite melancholy around the new year. I very much look forward to my plans for the upcoming year, but I spend a lot of time lamenting the chances not taken and the experiences I'll never get to have again. My heart breaks all over again reliving the losses of my loved ones who've exited my life over the past year. But this year I resolved early to focus on the positive experiences, and to that end I've been constructing this post for a few months now. And in order to avoid melancholy this evening I'm gonna finish it off. Below is a list of bike things I'm looking back on with gladness. pride, and other happy thoughts.


I created & solidified many riding friendships:
  • Justin
  • Mike
  • Gatlin
  • Michelle (thanks for finally getting me into your commute routine)
  • The Brothers Wiley
  • Steve
Two 700-mile months
My first century (thanks to the Wileys there too)
5000-mile year
Races:
  • Jason Broome TT
  • Lyle Pearson (and heres for a fun 2010 race!)
  • State Crit
  • BBHC
  • State TT
  • Hidden Springs
  • Nearly every ride of the season with Gatlin

Thanks to:
  • Tyler for support - material, logistical, emotional, nutritional, organizational
  • Gatlin for the rides and the encouragement (and making me look damn good in the duathlon . . . not so much for making me look like a fool on Bogus)
  • Mike for the support and the self-deprecating humor on rides
  • Justin for stroking my gearheadedness and pulling me (especially homeward in the heat)
  • Kate for putting up with all my crap, for standing alone in the cold to watch my first race ever, and for plucking my back hair
  • Will Lindsay and Scott Hoover for doing far more than their share of standing around on Thursdays
  • McT for all of his support, advice, and encouragement
  • Bruce & Ken for keeping us riding through the cold
  • All of you for reading this garbage and supporting me
And now I'm gonna go spend some quality time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww. :) You are the best, and I love ya to death.